Autism Resource Centre (Singapore) or ARC(S) is a not-for-profit charity based in Singapore. Started by a dedicated group of professional and parent volunteers, ARC(S) is dedicated to serving children and adults on the autism spectrum through a wide range of services: Early Intervention, Pathlight School, Employability & Employment Centre, ARC Learning Academy, Student Enrichment, Social Leisure Club, and our social enterprises, The Art Faculty and Professor Brawn.
About The Event
A Very Special Walk (AVSW) is the signature fundraising event of Autism Resource Centre (Singapore). Since 2005, there have been different editions, ranging from walks, walk + run, concert, carnival, movie treats and more.
In 2020, we organised our first ever virtual AVSW amidst Covid-19 pandemic. In light of the current safe management measures, we are keeping to a virtual campaign in 2021. A Very Special Walk - Challenge is the 2021 edition of AVSW, which also marks the year that ARC turns 21. With the theme Challenge for Change, we hope to raise funds and make a change to better the lives of the autism community. Funds raised will go towards supporting programmes and services that ARC offers to empower persons on the autism spectrum lead meaningful and independent lives.
Pick A Challenge & Raise Donation
To participate in the event, you can sign up as a participant and pick a challenge from one of the 4 categories:
- Custom challenge
Do your challenge during the 21-days timeframe from 1 – 21 June, 2021.
Share your journey with us via your preferred social media platform during the campaign period, and raise donations for AVSW!
Our AVSW Champions are our advocates who have generously accepted the challenge to share their talent and use their influence to help raise funds for ARC's programmes and services for persons on the autism spectrum.
Our Champions will undertake an active/creative/kindness/custom challenge for AVSW. They will share their goals and progress to motivate and inspire other challenge participants.
Participants can register at https://avsw.autism.org.sg to participate in AVSW individually or as a team.
- Sign Up Period: 17 May to 20 June 2021
- Challenge Period: 1 June to 21 June 2021
- Online Donation Period: 17 May to 31 July 2021
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A. General Questions
- Question: What is A Very Special Walk?
Answer: A Very Special Walk (AVSW) is the signature fundraising event of Autism Resource Centre (Singapore). Since 2005, there has been different renditions, ranging from walk, walk + run, concert, carnival, movie treats and our first ever virtual campaign last year.
In light of the current safe management measures, we are keeping to a virtual campaign in 2021. A Very Special Walk - Challenge is the 2021 edition of AVSW, which also marks the year that ARC turns 21. With the theme Challenge for Change, we hope to raise funds and make a change to better the lives of the autism community. Funds raised will go towards supporting programmes and services that ARC offers to empower persons on the autism spectrum lead meaningful and independent lives.
- Question: What is the Challenge?
Answer: The Challenge is the activity that you will choose to undertake for AVSW to raise funds for ARC. You can pick a challenge from one of the 4 categories - Active, Creative, Acts of Kindness and Custom, which can be completed anytime anywhere, between 1 June 2021 – 21 June 2021 (21 days). Participants will need to complete the challenge that you undertake during the 21-days timeframe, share your journey with us via your preferred social media platform and raise funds for AVSW during the campaign period.
- Question: When is the registration period?
Answer: Registration opens on 17 May and continues until 20 June 2021. Participants who have registered are encouraged to start raising funds for ARC.
- Question: When is the Campaign duration?
Answer: The campaign will commence on 1 June 2021 and ends at 2100 hours on 21 June 2021.
- Question: Can anyone participate?
Answer: Yes, we encourage participants of all ages. However, participants under 18 years old are required to obtain consent from their parents/guardians before registering for the campaign and agreeing to the declaration stated on the registration form.
- Question: How would the donations that I raise be utilized?
Answer: All donations raised will go towards the running of programmes and services offered by Autism Resource Centre (Singapore) to empower persons on the autism spectrum lead independent and meaningful lives.
- Question: If I am unable to complete my challenge, what will happen to the donations that I have raised?
Answer: That is all right. All amounts of donation raised will nonetheless be channelled to Autism Resource Centre (Singapore). No refund of donations will be made.
- Question: How can I check on the donations that I or my team have raised and the people who have supported me?
Answer: You can go to your profile or your team's profile page. The total donation amount that you or your team have raised, and all your supporters would be shown on the profile.
- Question: If there is no participant whom I would like to support, how can I still donate to support the campaign?
Answer: You may donate to support the campaign via this link. Your donation will go towards AVSW.
- Question: What are the online donation payment options available?
Answer: The available payment options are stated below:
- Credit Cards - PayPal is AVSW's authorised payment gateway for donations by credit card. Your donations will be annotated by "ARC - AVSW" in your credit card statements.
- PayNow - Omise is AVSW's authorised payment processor for donations by PayNow. Please note that the name of the recipient that will appear in your bank statement is "Omise Payments SG Pte Ltd.".
- Question: Are there any other means of donations if I do not wish to donate online?
Answer: Yes, you may also make a cheque donation to AVSW.
Please make cheque payable to "AVSW" or "A Very Special Walk" indicating on the back your name, NRIC/FIN/UEN* and contact information. Please mail cheque to: Autism Resource Centre (Singapore) – AVSW, 5 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10, Singapore 569739.
* Donations $100 and above are eligible for tax deduction. Please provide your NRIC/FIN/UEN for auto inclusion in your tax assessment.
- Question: Will there be any tax deduction for my donations?
Answer: Yes, there will be 250% tax deduction for donations S$100 and above. A tax-deductible receipt will be sent to you if you provide your NRIC/FIN/UEN number along with an email address.
B. Registration Matters
- Question: How do I register for the campaign?
Answer: Click here to register.
- Question: How do I register as a team?
Answer: To register a team, you will need to have already registered and verified your account (click here to register). After that, create a team from your profile page.
- Question: How do I join a team?
Answer: To join a team, you will need to:
Once you have the unique invitation link, ensure that you are logged in to your account, then open the invitation link from your browser.
- Have already registered and verified your account (click here to register)
- Have a unique invitation link created by the Team Admin. Please contact your team's admin to get the invitation link from them.
Once there, click "Join Team" and you will be added to the team automatically.
- Question: How to invite your friends to your team?
Answer: After creating your team (From your profile > Create Team), you can generate a unique invitation link which lasts 24 hours to invite other members to join your team. (Team profile > Generate Invite Link)
Anyone with a valid AVSW21 account can open this link to accept your invitation.
Please note that:
- Users who are not logged in or do not have a valid AVSW21 account cannot join your team.
- The link is only valid for 24 hours. After which, you will have to generate a different invitation link.
- Any participant can only be in ONE team at any given time.
- Question: What is the registration fee?
Answer: REGISTRATION IS FREE!
- Question: Can I sign up for more than one category?
Answer: You can only sign up for one challenge throughout the duration of the event.
- Question: Can I change my category after signing up?
Answer: Please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly ensure that you get an acknowledgement reply from the Organiser.
- Question: How do I know if I have successfully registered?
Answer: You will receive an account verification email upon successful registration shortly after you complete your online registration.
- Question: Why did I not receive my confirmation email after completing the registration?
Answer: This could be due to a variety of reasons as follows:
Please email email@example.com providing the email address used at the time of registration for the team to check on your registration status.
- Your registration was not successful and therefore the confirmation email was not rendered.
- There could be an error in your email at the point of registration, so the confirmation email was not sent to the correct email address.
- The email has been blocked by your mail server and/or is treated as spam. Please check your junk mail or junk mail folder.
- Question: What happens after I register for the campaign?
Answer: Participants are encouraged to raise funds from their friends and family members to support the programmes and services offered by Autism Resource Centre (Singapore) to empower persons on the autism spectrum to lead independent and meaningful lives.
- Question: How do I track my distance and time my challenge(s)?
Answer: We accept results on the honour system, so you can track your distance and time however you desire, within the timeframe between 1 June 2021 – 21 June 2021.
Although not mandatory, the most accurate way to do your tracking is by using a Running GPS watch, but there are also several free smartphone apps available for iPhones and Android devices that you may be interested in. Please see some suggestions for Free Run-Tracking Apps.
Share your journey with us by uploading photo(s) or video(s) of yourself or/and your team members doing the challenge on your social media platforms. Remember to change your settings to “public”, hashtag #AVSW21, #21challengeforchange and tag us @ A Very Special Walk (AVSW) on Facebook and @ avsw_arc on Instagram.
For any enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Autism Resource Centre (Singapore)
5 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Tel: 6323 3258